Wednesday, August 3, 2011

What's With The Reproductions?

Joining Etsy has definitely forced me to dust off the cobwebs on the business side of my brain. It's also forced me to think pretty hard about what buyers really want and... what they will really buy. Wearing that hat of artist and business woman does not always make for a comfortable fit. How do I make work that I care about, and can be enthusiastic about sharing while at the same time thinking about who will want to bring it into their home, and in what form? That's not rhetorical... if you have some good answers and suggestions make sure to leave a comment!

One way I'm trying to be "business wise" is to look for ways to produce beautiful images while conserving time and energy as best as possible. My first attempt at this is through giclee prints. Giclee prints (pronounced 'zhee-klay) are high quality, archival reproduction prints of original artwork. They have a wonderful color saturation and last for generations to come (over 200 years). By making prints of my original artwork I'm able to offer them at a lower price, expand the audience that can appreciate them and not exhaust myself trying to make similar pieces over and over again.

I've included a few of my prints in the gallery. I'd be interested to hear what you all think on the idea of reproduction prints in general. Considering that most people have a poster from a museum, a set of gift cards or even a framed print of a famous painting I don't think they are taboo, but still I'd like to hear what everyone thinks.[[posterous-content:pid___0]]

 

No comments:

Post a Comment